Using ARO, the Application Resource Optimizer
If you’re building an Android app that uses wireless, you know how important optimizing network traffic, reducing battery drain, and lowering server loads are.
The AT&T Application Resource Optimizer (ARO) is a free diagnostic tool for analyzing the performance of your mobile applications. It can help your app run faster and smarter by providing recommendations to help optimize your mobile application’s performance, speed, network impact and battery utilization. The tool is comprised of two parts, the AT&T ARO Data Collector and the AT&T ARO Data Analyzer.
The ARO Data Collector records:
- Data Traffic: TCP sessions and HTTP packets and content
- Screen Video (3 fps)
- User Input
- Battery Level
- GPS/Camera/Bluetooth Usage
The ARO Analyzer then:
- Examines all data and provides feedback based on best practices
- Applies Radio and PowerModels so you can see WHERE the power drain is coming from
- Shows developers charts/tables of data to learn how their application behaves
Doug Sillars, PhD, recently presented a session at the AT&T Developer Summit outlining how to use ARO. His slides can be found on the AT&T Developer Program website.
Slides: ARO: Is your Android App Optimized for Wireless? (reg reqired)
Doug is presenting a free webcast on Thursday, January 26, on How to Optimize Your Mobile Apps. Register today!