M2X Video Tutorial: Onboarding Devices to M2X
Are you building your first Internet of Things (IoT) product or application? Are you a developer or IT manager researching or evaluating the various tools and services available in the IoT space? Well, in an effort to save you valuable research and development time, we have created a series of M2X Data Service and Flow Designer (beta) video tutorials. These are meant to be bite-size videos, allowing you to quickly “snack” on various quick-start topics.
In this current installment, we’ll review the steps for connecting both physical and virtual devices to your M2X account, making it easy for your business to connect M2M devices to the Internet of Things.
M2X Data Service Refresher
The AT&T M2X Data Service is a cloud-based data storage service and management toolset customized for the Internet of Things. Using M2X, businesses can gather data in real-time from connected devices and equipment and translate that data into meaningful information for quicker decisions, automated actions, and strategic analysis.
The Internet of Things is transforming how we live and work. With IoT solutions, businesses can connect and monitor assets from virtually anywhere across almost any industry. This new generation of smart connected “things” are capable of data gathering, predictive analytics, and process automation. This is where the AT&T M2X Data Service comes into play – providing you with the essential tools you’ll need to develop your connected product.
Video Tutorial 3: Connecting Devices
In this video tutorial, we provide an overview of how to onboard devices to your M2X account. After viewing the video, you can connect your first device to your M2X account by following these simple steps:
- Login to M2Xor Sign Up for a free account
- Navigate to the Devices page
- Select Create Device
- Enter the Device Name, Description and choose the desired Visibility (Private or Public)
- Select ‘Create’ to create your Device
Once your device has been created, you will be directed to the newly created device’s dashboard. From here you can configure your device, including:
- Add Data Streams – a set of time series Datapoints of a specific measurement type (i.e. temperature, humidity) from a specific device
- Add Triggers and Location metadata for Data Streams
- View the API cheat sheet for frequently used cURL commands
- Test your Data Stream by pushing data to your device streams
- Distribute the device, allowing you to add as many devices as you need to a Distribution, each configured based on the device model you’ve just created
M2X Video Tutorial Series
To view the first two videos in the M2X Video Tutorial series, visit our initial blog, M2X Video Tutorials: Kick-Start Your IoT Development, where we introduced you to the following tutorials:
- M2X Video Tutorial 1 – Managing M2X API Keys
- M2X Video Tutorial 2 – Retrieving Data from a Single Device Using the M2X API
Let us know what you think of the videos in the comments and be sure to let us know what other things you’d like covered in this series.