Enhancing Your Apps with AT&T APIs other APIs
Here is another light reading piece complements of Mashape, one of our hackathon partners that provide our developers with an excellent repository of APIs and an endless supply of ideas for hacks. Chris Ismael wirtes about interesting APIs you can use to enhance your mobile applicadtions.
While going through AT&T’s overview page for their APIs, I noticed something that most “providers” do not include in their documentation – a “How Can I Use…” section that provides scenarios and ideas on how/where a certain API endpoint can be used. I applaud AT&T for adding this seemingly obvious part. Every API provider should dedicate a section that provides sample scenarios on how their APIs can be used.
Having said that, it gave me a few ideas of my own on how to make some of these sample scenarios more concrete – by listing other APIs that can complete the scenario. So without further ado, here’s a list of APIs that can help you further realize your apps as you build them using AT&T’s APIs:
How Can I Use the Location API?
Loyalty apps Power a loyalty program that keeps your customers coming back. Use the Location API to deliver relevant offers when your customers are in the vicinity.
1. Sqoot – our API exposes tens of thousands of monetizable, local daily deals. Deals are categorized and searchable by location, distance, price and more.
2. Bootic Product Search – Bootic is the marketplace to find a wide range of products. Bootic’s Product Search API gives you direct access to all that our product search engine has to offer.
3. Shopello – Shopello provides an API for a product search engine offering our partners to display products
4. Yupiq – Yupiq is a social media promotions platform that increases sales and brand awareness by rewarding customers for sharing videos, links and special offers with their friends on Facebook, Twitter, and email.
5. DayWatch – provides powerful data access to real-time daily deal and coupons data in USA, Latin America and South East Asia. Search deals per country, location, category, and activity.
6. 8coupons – Local deals from all the deal and daily deal sites.
7. BlipADeal Worldwide Deals – allows you to utilise our database of over 6 million daily deals and coupons annually from over 14 countries around the globe.
8. Sidebuy – daily deals and coupons aggregator
9. SmartPeaGrocerySalesAPI – designed for developers who want to access hyper-localized grocery deals data.
10. ScoreBig – search discount sports and events inventory that is always below box office price
11. Koliseo – Koliseo is an event ticketing platform with an attitude
12. SeatGeek – a ticket search site that aggregates sports, concert, and theater ticket listings from over 60 ticketing sites.
13. Homecook – the local food and farmer’s market REST API. Search by food items, get details on a farmer’s market or on a local business.
14. lashou – API of lashou group buying
Make it easy for your users to search for local points of interest by combing their location with their query
1. YourMapper – Tap into the millions of points of data, maps, and metadata for your own websites or mobile applications.
2. Chile Gas Stations – Provides the Chile gas stations and prices nearest to a location.
3. picboxinc open geo engine – a geo storage and a high-performance query engine. It can save the location info.
4. Placesocial – gives you a simple way to monitor the activities on some social platforms (e.g. Flickr, Twitter, etc) related to a place (e.g. your town) in the last week.
How Can I Use the AT&T U-verse Enabled API?
Build the ultimate multi-screen apps Your apps can use the TV screen as a secondary or alternate screen. Create the ultimate multi-screen app by sending UI elements and media content from a mobile devices to be rendered on the TV.
1. Trivia – gives you access to 1000s of Trivia questions
2. Numbers – an API for interesting facts about numbers. Provides trivia, math, date, and year facts about numbers.
3. newsseecr – gives you access to a wide range of current global news provided by various news websites
4. Subtitles (Swedish) – Swedish subtitle API for movies.
5. IMDb – an unofficial API for IMDB.com
6. SRAPI 1.0 – is a restricted REST service developed to serve SingRing lyrics, artists, and video information to its partners.
7. musiXmatch – the fastest, most powerful and legal way to display lyrics on your website or in your application.
These are just some of the APIs that you can use to complement your AT&T apps. If you want to check out more, you can find more specialized APIs in this list of 40+ machine learning APIs (face recognition, sentiment analysis, etc).
I hope this was useful. If you have other APIs that you think should be in this list, feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Ismael is a Developer Evangelist for Mashape. Mashape is an API Marketplace. It’s a Cloud API Hub where developers can discover, distribute, consume, and monetize private and public APIs.