AT&T U-verse TV Wins IP&TV Industry Awards, Offers Opportunities for Developers
Last Wednesday at the 2012 IP&TV World Forum in London awards were given for innovation, excellence and achievement in the IPTV industry. AT&T won “Best TV App” for the U-verse Tablet App and “Best Consumer Device” for the Wireless Receiver. (press release) These were not the first awards to be earned by U-verse TV. In 2011, U-verse TV won an IP&TV Industry Award for Best Multiscreen TV Service.
As the fastest growing TV service in the country* and the only 100 percent Internet Protocol-based television (IPTV) service offered by a national service provider, U-verse Enabled APIs offer a lot of opportunities for developers to create applications that interface with the service.
The U-verse Enabled architecture allows an authorized personal device, such as an iPhone, to associate itself (“pair”) with a U-verse set-top box. Once this pairing has occurred, the personal device can become a local application server, capable of sending commands and content directly to the set-top box to provide a wide range of new applications.
Examples of enabled applications include photo, video and music sharing directly from the device, improved user management of U-verse TV applications (DVR, guide, VOD), and enhanced interworking between the user’s U-verse television and other internet and smart phone applications such as Twitter, Facebook, search, etc.
- U-verse APIs enable mobile devices to both get information from and send information to a U-verse receiver.
- An app can enable a mobile device to send remote-control commands to the receiver to interact with the TV.
- Apps can control content on the TV for example, by streaming music to the IPTV, or by letting users participate in social forums while watching their favorite shows.
- Apps can respond to receiver information like channel changes and program metadata for example, by displaying content based on the metadata of the program a customer is watching.
- You can reach a new, engaged, and rapidly growing customer base of 3 million high-value AT&T U-verse customers.
- Your app will attract attention as one of the first on an innovative new platform.
- Customers can display your content on their television screens.
- You can connect directly to up to 3 million currently deployed U-verse set-top boxes.
- Customers don’t need additional equipment. Their current U-verse service gives them everything they need.
AT&T U-verse Enabled (overview)
AT&T U-verse Enabled SDK and Tools
AT&T U-verse Enabled User-Interface Guidelines
AT&T U-verse Enabled Prohibitions
AT&T U-verse Enabled Application FAQs
AT&T U-verse Enabled FAQs
AT&T U-verse Enabled Mobile Application Security White Paper
* Claim based on comparison of major TV providers’ percentage growth in subscriber counts and national market share data over the last 11 quarters combined.
Are you thinking about building an application using the U-verse Enabled architecture? What excites or concerns you the most?