AT&T’s ARO Analyzer Is Now Integrated with Automated Tests at Testdroid Cloud
The following is a guest blog from Jouko Kaasila, Founder and COO at Bitbar, the company which integrated AT&T’s ARO Analyzer with their cloud testing solution.
The robustness of any app is the single-most critical factor for its long term success. This is simply because app users have no patience for crashes or badly performing apps – they will walk away from something that doesn’t work as expected, compromises user experience or even worse drains the battery and eats out the precious data plan megabytes.
Unlike some current offerings in the industry, our vision was to create a solution that fits perfectly for mobile app developers’ agile processes. We identify and solve fragmentation problems by running tests in parallel on hundreds of devices in minutes and enable app developers to use the same tools and frameworks for test automation that they use for their app development – all based on open standards.
As a testimony of the success of this developer oriented approach, some of the best known Android and iOS apps and games have used Testdroid as an integral part of their development process – Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, Swiftkey, Yelp, Soundcloud, PayPal, just to name a few. Today, we’re excited to announce the Testdroid integration with AT&T Application Resource Optimizer (ARO) – which makes performance analysis and optimization an integral part of any mobile developer’s automated workflow.
What Does Testdroid Do?
Testdroid tools are targeted for mobile application, game, and service developers and includes various deployment options that caters to developers of all sizes and segments. Some of these options include public device cloud, private device cloud, and on-premise device cloud. The common thread across these deployment options is that they help developers automate their develop/test/release lifecycle by providing actionable insights on how their app works across hundreds of real device models and configurations. This ensures smooth and optimized performance across all device categories. Developers can access devices manually, by using some test automation framework, or through an API. The output from Testdroid includes a wealth of information from logs and screenshots to CPU and Memory usage and now with AT&T ARO, it also includes app optimization data. All this can be tightly integrated with your automated development workflow, for instance with Testdroid Jenkins plugin.
By integrating Testdroid’s real device access platform with ARO Analyzer we have taken another step in integrating high-value add tools as part of your automated development tool-chain. Now you can just upload your application, run Testdroid App Crawler on it by using real devices and automatically get full package of ARO Analyzer result files for further performance and optimization analysis. No installation, configuration or manual interaction needed!
How to get started with Testdroid Cloud and ARO Analyzer
- First, create a free Testdroid account for yourself. This can be done at http://www.testdroid.com/ and provides you an unlimited access (time, tests, etc.) with our free devices.
- Log in using your credentials
- Create a new project under Projects, upload your APK and select device with ‘ARO’ in its name (you can search for ‘ARO’ using free text search in Device Groups view). There will be several instances of the same device model available to ensure enough capacity.
- Start a test run (you don’t necessarily need instrumentation tests as you can use Testdroid Cloud’s automatic exerciser – App Crawler – to test your app).
- Results will be ready in few minutes complete with ARO Analyzer result files.
- Download the result files to your computer and open them using ARO Analyzer.
View the following video for all the steps required:
Here are some additional tutorials and instructions: