AT&T Mobile App Hackathon – San Diego Recap
Ahhhh…. We are back once again in sunny San Diego, this time in support of sdappschallenge.com, which is a virtual hackathon with $50k in prizes challenging developers to create apps that increase the quality of life of San Diegans using data sets provided by the city.
There were a number of great ideas that were pitched, some of which were covered in the Fox 5 San Diego piece that aired last night. We had a great showing last night with around 92+ developers who showed up to check out the buzz. For pictures from the event, hit this link. Also, here are a number of media mentions for the event:
- San Diego App Developers Get Hacking Next Weekend At The AT&T Hackathon (CommNexus, 3/20/2012)
- A hackathon for San Diego (The Challenge Post Blog, 3/21/2012)
- AT&T Mobile App Hackathon (San Diego Magazine Events Calendar, 3/21/2012)
- Tiggzi Mobile App Builder at AT&T Mobile App Hackathon in San Diego (Maxa Blog, 3/22/2012)
- San Diego Apps Challenge (San Diego Union-Tribune, 3/23/2012)
- SD app developers get hacking this weekend at AT&T Hackathon (San Diego Daily Transcript, 3/23/2012)
- Innovate: San Diego Apps Challenge 2012 (DiscoverSD.com, 23/23/2012)
- San Diego App Developers Get Hacking This Weekend At The AT&T Hackathon (San Diego Tech Scene, 3/23/2012)
- ATT App Hackathon SD – March 23 2012 (TimWitherald.com [blog], 3/23/2012)
- Developers In Town Working On San Diego Apps (Fox 5 San Diego, 3/23/2012)
- Mobile App Hackathon News Hit (KUSI, 6pm News, 3/24/2012)
- Mobile App Hackathon News Hit (KUSI, 10pm/11pm News, 3/24/2012)
- San Diego Mobile Apps Challenge News Hit (KFMB-CBS, 11pm News, 3/24/2012)
- Mobile App Hackathon Coverage (KUSI, Good Morning San Diego, 3/25/2012)
- San Diego Gets Results from 24-Hour Hackathon (Government Technology, 3/27/2012)
- Back From My First Mobile Hackathon (Sys-Con Media Blog, 3/27/2012)
Also, for those of you that were asking about where the food came from, here is the information with phone numbers and websites:
- Friday Dinner – Berkeley Pizza – http://www.berkeleypizza.net/ – (619) 937-0808
- Saturday Breakfast – Chef Miguels – (619) 696-1466
- Saturday Lunch – Hillcrest Sandwich Co. – http://www.hillcrestsandwich.com/ – (619) 293-0248
Here are some pictures from the event and we’ll be back shortly with the app pitches and winners:
And wow were the app ideas from this hackathon good! Like Adam Hersh said during the announcement of the winners, all of the ideas were fantastic and please submit them for the http://www.sdappschallenge.com! Also, let us know if you need help with further application development.
As for the mobile apps that were presented, here they are in no particular order:
- Promos2Share – Connect locals and tourists with businesses around San Diego County to find great deals and businesses don’t have to give away their profits
- UnleashSD – To provide a central service to pet owners so that they have complete information and access to pet-related public facilities in order to improve the way of life for these members of the community and the community itself.
- iheartlocalevents.com – Our app aggregates local events from various sources including the city special events calendar, various public feeds, and user input via twitter, and places them alongside special deals from local businesses, like happy hours. By providing all of this data together with an intuitive, easy to use interface, it will give users the best way to discover what’s going on around them in San Diego!
- stayFit – stayFIT allows users to accurately learn, track, and measure their assigned exercises personally prescribed by their trainers for them to complete at home, whether it is to rehabilitate, strengthen, or intensely train their muscles. The accelerometer inside of mobile phones and devices such as fitbit allow for accurate tracking of movement that can aggregate large data sets on the physical progress of all the users. The physician or trainer view allows professionals to monitor, prescribe, update, and analyze information that is being sent to them from their users’ phones, effectively digitalizing the process of at-home training programs with staunch accuracy and providing enough data to leverage machine learning for intelligent recommendations and trend derivations.
- TWIZZLIST – A reinvention of Craigslist to simplify everything from posting to searching for goods and services through mobile devices. Through geolocation and an intuitive graphical user interface, TWIZZLIST allows for rapid, and localized, trading of goods and services… The way it should be.
- CROWDS – A mobile app that anonymously, and in the background, sends your geolocation to the cloud. A simple GUI that gives you a birds eye map view of the crowds. Zoomable, moveable, simplicity. Don’t go to Disneyland when you can only go on 2 rides for the whole day. Check out CROWDS and “know when to go”. Knowledge is power!
- Is it safe? – Is it safe to park my car? is it safe to walk? Is it safe to drive? “Is it safe?” mines available databases about past crime/accident activities in the area to warn users about possible recurrent dangers.
- San Diego Dashboard – One stop for your San Diego information needs, configurable for natives and tourists alike
- mHealth allergy – The purpose of my app is to use AT&T’s mHealth API to keep track of allergy suffering (and corresponding level of pollen count), allergy injections received, allergy medication taken, etc. and to optionally run in the background alert the user when pollen count is unusually high.
- Good Days – Good Days is an app that helps San Diego allergy sufferers forecast their good days. The app is based on machine learning and pulls active and passive data from both the users smart device as well other external data sets and AT&T’s mHealth api. The grand vision is to really empower users to improve their health by making lifestyle changes. [UPDATE] Turns on that this team went on to win the “Popular Choice Award” at the SD Apps Challenge! Congrats!
- Where is the Tennis Court? – Enable Tennis players to find tennis courts. My son plays a lot of tourneys and you almost always have to find a tennis court to practice on away from the tennis court before the match because there are no free tennis courts at the tourney.
- Bus Warrior – Bus Warrior is a phone app for bus riders which helps locate the bus, prepay for a busfare online, and provide games for your pleasure on the bus to play and redeem points for free and discounted products.
- Sportsfibber – Sports site for non sports fans
- Run Dog Run – A mobile app to find out dog friendly locations
- Soljus San Diego – A mobile app (wordpress extension) focused on finding ewaste, organic food and markets
Here are the winning entries:
General Mobile App Category
- Promos2Share ($500 in gift cards)
- UnleashSD ($300 in gift cards)
- Good Days ($200 in gift cards)
AT&T mHealth API Category
- stayFit (Mac Airs for the full team)
- iheartlocalevents.com ($500 in gift cards)
- UnleashSD ($300 in gift cards)
HTC Pen API Category
- Good Days (HTC Jetstream tablets for the entire team)