AT&T Mobile App Hackathon – Dallas Recap
Wow. The AT&T Foundry in Dallas is an amazing space with wide open floor plans, plenty of workspace and a blazing fast internet connection. When you first walk in, you would swear you were in a co-working facility in any major metropolitian city with the eye catching layout and vibrant colors. To add that little special touch, the AT&T Foundry even made special badges for us!
Dallas gave a tremendous showing with 111+ attendees and pumped out 17 apps. It was an especially exciting event because John Donovan and Jon Summers also stopped by the event incognito and chatted up the devs. Needless to say, Shanley and I were beside ourselves. We actually still need to print up the press relase John issued a while back and have him sign it!
Also, we have to give a big thanks to Calvin Carter for such a touching gesture during the awards cermony where he gave his iPod Nano to one of the presenters who was only 9 years old for her excellent pitch. To Calvin and the next generation of entrepreneurs, here is to a bigger and brighter future!
The winners are as follows:
- 1st Place – Pastie Cam
- 2nd Place – Meteor Mission
- 3rd Place – myCost
- SierraWireless 1st Place – Pastie Cam
- Sierra Wireless Honorable Mention – Representus
- Sencha Winner – CoachPlan
- $50 Youngest Hacker Award – This prize went to the two youngest winners that participated in the hackathon.
- learncodethehardway.org Winners – Catch 22 for presenting a half way finished app! Apigee will be buying these guys an online class from learncodethehwardway.org so that they can pump out apps the next time around.
To recap the apps that came out of the event, here are the mobile app teams in no particular order:
- Creative Sparkers – Creative Sparkers is an app to spark creativity in not only writers and designers but business people of all disciplines: technology, finance and accounting, health, education and more. It provides techniques in the form of short quotes from industry leaders and visionaries.
- PoopWars – Take geo-tagged photos of your poops and rate other’s poops based on proximity. Become the #1 poop for that toilet. Mayor of poopville.
- FollowedUp – The app allows users to quickly take contact info along with a topic and a time. The application reminds the user to follow up with their contact, tells them what they wanted to follow up with the person about, and gives them a shortcut to call, text, or email them.
- GuachiBee – This application helps users to scan books and documents are convert it into audio or pdf files. Application uses state of art Optical character Recognition to convert the images into text and then to audio files.
- Vector Splash – Hopefully provided a moment of entertainment to users.
- myCost – myCost is a fun way to understand the true cost of your purchases — that is, how much time it takes you to earn the money or what you could buy instead.
- Meteor Mission – It’s an exicitng remake of an old classic TRS-80 game – Meteor Mission!
- Pastie Cam – It allows you to share or stream photos using pastie.org.
- Socialyzer – Mobile interface to the main Socialyzer web app
- Catch-22 – Our app supports events such as Hackathon, in that it enables attendees to register their profile, skill sets, and partnership needs. This data is then visible to other attendees so that partnerships can be formed. Additional features include the ability to submit ideas for consideration by other participants.
- Magic Watch – Magic Watch is used to have skype, watch TV, internet, make phone calls all in one device
- rate my stuff – Let’s you rate stuff.
- HoneyDo – A todo list that your wife can add stuff to.
- CoachPlan (Basketball) – This app allows a Coach to plan and show player positioning of a team on a basketball court.
- Representus – Utilizes several APIs to find information on your local representatives and presents data such as campaign financing and committee membership.
- Waiter App – It makes taking orders at restaurants quicker and more efficient by providing a multi-platform solution to taking orders and checking customers out right from a tablet device.
- Newton Insight Mobile – Gives couriers information and tools they need to pickup and deliver time sensitive orders.
In case you are interested, here are some shots of the AT&T Foundry in Plano, Texas:
Also, it turns out that the developers in the Dallas area were ready to go and some even rolled in around 9:15AM! Here are some images from the morning as we got started: