AT&T Mobile App Hackathon Dallas, Feb 17-18
Could a mobile app help boost your new venture?
Are you planning on building a business around a mobile app?
AT&T Mobile App Hackathons are geared towards getting your app, business or idea venture to market!
We will provide on-the-ground technical support, known as “senseis”, from AT&T, Microsoft, Amazon, HTC and others to help you accelerate the execution of your ideas/business, rapidly kick-start a prototype mobile application and spin-off a successful venture.
Friday, Feb 17 at 6:00 PM – Saturday, Feb 18 at 8:00 PM (CT)
AT&T Foundry, Plano, TX
6PM – Friday Evening. AT&T Mobile App Hackathon. Kickoff event with drinks, networking, and developer dating which leads into idea pitches and team formation.
10AM – Saturday Morning – AT&T Mobile App Hackathon. The fun continues with an all day hackathon. Work with the teams that you formed on Friday night to produce the app spec’d out the night before. Senseis will be available throughout the entire event to help you code up your solution. App submissions will be accepted throughout the day with a deadline of 7PM.
10AM – Saturday Morning – Mega Meetup. If you are not technical or not interested in coding, you can still come join the fun with our Mega Meetup. We have invited all of the area’s technical meetup groups to come and meet on the same day. The idea here is that the groups are split into back-end (cloud, azure, etc.), front-end (HTML5, Java, etc.), and business (WordPress, Drupal, analytics, consulting etc.). This way, you can walk in with an idea and out the other side with a business plan and team!
7PM – Saturday Evening. Promptly at 7PM, teams will begin pitching their ventures. Pitches are limited to three (3) minutes per team.
Prizes. The following prizes are experiential and geared towards accelerating you towards a successful business as well as expanding your network and industry knowledge:
- AT&T Foundry – Select teams will have the opportunity to pitch the AT&T Foundry on their idea for possible further funding
- Gift Cards – 1st Place – $300, 2nd Place $200, 3rd Place $100
- Apigee – Top four (4) teams producing an app using Apigee APIs will receive a $250 gift card.
- Sierra Wireless – 1st place team is seeded with AT&T 4G Elevate Hotspot devices with one (1) month of free service
- AT&T mHealth – This prize will focus specially on the AT&T mHealth APIs and is currently TBD
- Microsoft – Top Two (2) teams producing a WP7 app receive Windows Phone 7 devices
- HTC – Top team using HTC OpenSense SDK receives 1 HTC Jetstream Tablet for each team member (max of 3)
Judging Criteria. Apps will be judged based on the the criteria below and weighted accordingly.
- 33% Weight – Ability to clearly articulate what your app does
- 33% Weight – Originality of idea
- 33% Weight – Use of Node.JS, Sencha, cloud9ide.com, Heroku, and other technologies
Mega-Meetups. The following is a list of meetups participating in the mega-meetup and a short description of their content.
- The Nickel Tour of Drupal (Hosted by David Hahn) – In this session David will provide five cents worth of information on Drupal, the open source content management system that powers over four million web sites, including The White House, The Economist, thousands of universities and governments, small businesses and personal blogs. With 15,000 free add-ons and any number of custom modules, Drupal interfaces easily with mobile applications, enterprise and cloud systems, databases and is supported by an active and diverse community all over the world.
- WordPress for Startups (Hosted by Tony Cecala) – You have a lot of plates to keep spinning. Don’t let your website/blog be one of them. Learn about how WordPress combines ease of use and power to give you the speed and flexibility to launch your business in style.
- Windows Phone Design and Development (Hosted by Chris Koenig) – Join Chris Koenig, Senior Technical Evangelist for Windows Phone, for a tour of the Windows Phone Development Experience from soup to nuts. Chris will showcase the development tools used for designing and developing great Windows Phone apps, including a live coding demo where he’ll build a new Windows Phone application from scratch and prepare it for submission to the Windows Phone Marketplace.
- Bleeding Android (Hosted by Don Archer) – It’s time for a full-scale Android transfusion. Don’t just “port” your idea over to Android. We’ll discuss powerful and simple ways to build your application as an integrated part of the ecosystem. Achieve zen-like simplicity while tapping the ridiculously powerful features of the Android OS. Extend your reach to tablets, TVs and more.
- Proxomo: Build an App, Not a Platform (Hosted by Daniel Knoodle) – Description Pending
- Getting to an Android App to Market (Hosted by Amir Ghadiry) – Description Pending