AT&T / Intel “Internet of Things” Hackathon – Event Recap – Santa Monica, CA
The Intel / AT&T “Internet of Things” hackathon we closed out last weekend was a blast by all accounts. Great projects, awesome people, and Electric Imp even turned out to help and hack. If you haven’t heard of them before, check out their product here as it will blow your mind: http://electricimp.com/
A big thanks goes out to Real Office Centers for hosting the event as well as M2X, ESRI, and Plantronics for sending developers to help support the event. We are looking forward to the blow out hackathon of the year at CES: http://devsummit.att.com/hackathon
For those interested in pictures from the event, please check out these links:
Up for grabs was over $10k in prize money. The details can be found here: http://iothacklax.eventbrite.com. The judges also decided to award two honorable mentions as well. Here are the top teams:
- 1st Place Overall – Team Leverage
- 2nd Place Overall – Team SafeCircle
- 3rd Place Overall – Team Whiteboard Learning
- Plantronics 1st Place – Team Leverage
- Plantronics 2nd Place – Team Human Piano
- Plantronics 3rd Place – Team Rhyme Relax
- Education Challenge 1st Place – Team White Board Learning
- Education Challenge 2nd Place – Team Field Trip Buddy
- Education Challenge 3rd Place – Team Jeopardy
- Best Use of ESRI $1k Challenge – Team SafeCircle
In no particular order, here are the team apps:
PushPop – A Publish/Subscribe service for IOT devices, geo-fences, and web services. Our goals are the following:
1. Simplify your life in a world of billions of devices and services.
2. Provide an interface for finding and connecting to devices that are important to you.
3. Allow IOT devices to communicate directly with your mobile devices
4. Convert a device’s raw data into a visual display and we add value by displaying the visuals in our mobile app rather than just the raw data. Think the difference between a website showing just text versus a beautifully design website.
5. Choose from tons of prebuilt graphical templates that prettify the raw data.
Safe Circle – Safe Circle enables victims of violent crime to enjoy a sense of security, knowing that if their stalker/rapist/attacker/abuser comes within a pre-established proximity they will be notified and given a few moments to escape while simultaneously calling for help from law enforcement. These crucial minutes can make the difference between staying alive or becoming another statistic of violence by someone who violated a restraining order. It also supports behavioral modification of perpetrators who sincerely want to avoid becoming a repeat offender.
Field Trip Buddy – An instructional content and student management tool for teachers.
- Manage students: Teacher receives alerts of straying students via geolocation; emergency contact and medical information accessed by student ID.
- Manage content: Integrates instructional content and previous reading assignments with real-time student chat monitoring.
Whiteboard Learning – We found a number of problems in classroom interaction and we decided to build a solution. For instance, teachers often have trouble knowing when students get lost or need more help. Whiteboard is an interactive learning platform that revolutionizes the way educators and students connect in a classroom setting. Educators can quickly and easily receive live feedback from students, or create dynamic quizzes and polls with Whiteboard’s clicker functionality. We did away with login pages and accounts all-together; both educators and students can create and join sessions with just a few clicks of the mouse or a few taps on the screen.
Rhyme Relax – Help people who were sitting too much by bringing joyful and hands free iOS game. The people who play this game will use their head movement to follow up the music beats. Playing this game for a few minutes will greatly recover player’s neck tiredness.
Project Gretchen – Project Gretchen is a remotely-controlled helper that can be controlled with SMS or voice, can take care of your home stuff before you arrive home. It can water your plants, make a tea for you, tell you what’s the temperature like at home, etc.
LearningCurve – Student involvement in classrooms has recently become more diminished due to expanding class sizes nationwide. Interactive methods of education are necessary more than ever. LearningCurve encourages student participation and engagement by providing an educational gaming experience in the classroom. When students open the application on their phone, tablet, or other touchscreen device, they are randomly assigned to one of two teams. Teachers will then ask questions of the students via the application, and members of the two teams will race to see which team can enter the most accurate answers in the shortest amount of time.
Jeopardy – Our application is Jeopardy for the classroom. The all-in-one PC will display the scoreboard, and mobile phones will serve as buzzers.
NestHub – NestHub is an app that provides space for secure meaningful interaction.
- Our Purpose: Empower people to have meaningful communication and community. In an age of information overload, enable and foster intimate relationships and facilitate enhanced digital privacy.
- The Problems We’re Solving: Ending fragmented communication among close groups. Eliminating impersonal communication among close groups. Reducing companies monetizing on personal and business information shared among groups.
OpenClimate – The Nest thermostat is a terrific, but expensive device. The Raspberry Pi is a terrific and inexpensive device. OpenClimate is a project that aims to replicate the fantastic Nest thermostat using Open Source software and commodity hardware. With an OpenClimate thermostat you’re always in control and you never have to worry about wasting money and needlessly using energy because you forgot to turn off your air conditioning. Additionally, when the weather catches you by surprise you can turn on the air conditioning before you get home, ensuring a comfy climate.
Cook – Consumer Home Automation delivered in an easy to use system, complete with remote operation and learning capabilities.
Classroom Kale – Classroom Kale is an Internet-connected terrarium for the classroom. Students can create and share ‘recipes’ that determine how much water and light the plant receives, as well as the color of light. Students can track the status of their terrarium in real time with built in temperature and humidity sensors that sync with their mobile phones and online Classroom Kale profiles! Classroom Kale is intended to be used to help students understand how water and light affect a plants growth by comparing their results (through their recipes) with other students’ plants!
Human Piano – (To Become Nod-Nod) We wanted to build a cool tool for two main reasons: efficiently learn musical notes and get some exercise. With the “Human Piano” you are using your entire body to make notes appear on the screen. You want a “C,” sashay to the left. You want a “D,” nod your head. Plantronics and the Dell All-in-One made it possible to get a working prototype within a day.
Leverage – The first ever real-time guided personal training system.
Sprig – Sprigging means growing with ease. Using a network of sensors connected to the Internet, we provide the right amount of nutrients, water, light and temperature to grow healthy plants at home, in the office, and greenhouse nurseries.